Whether it’s the amount of work we need to do, conflicting priorities, or just many things going wrong, a long day can be challenging and stressful. Here are a few tips on how you can wind down after a busy day.
1. Lie Down And Do Nothing
Turn off the TV, stop checking social media, place your phone settings to silent and just lie down. This would help you feel more relaxed and give both your mind and your body a much-needed rest from your day, making you more productive and creative in the longer run. Try this for 15 minutes, every day for a week, and you’ll be surprised by the results!
2. Get Some Exercise
Try riding a bike, going to the gym, playing a sport, doing some yoga or Pilates. Any kind of exercise will help you feel better after your long day. If you’re not keen on going out, you can try the Belly Breathing exercise or even the 4-7-8 exercise, for times when you just can’t sleep. They both calm your system in the healthiest way!
- Place both hands on your belly, just below your bottom ribs.
- Rest the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth.
- Take a slow, deep inhalation through your nose.
- Draw your breath all the way into your belly, past your chest. Notice your diaphragm moving downward and feel your belly and rib cage expand.
- When you can take in no more air, exhale slowly through your nose until your lungs are empty — you’ll feel your belly falling under your hands.
- Repeat for 10 cycles.
As you continue, see if you can extend the exhale until it is twice the length of the inhale. Breathing this way helps quiet spinning thoughts and brings you back to your body in the present moment.
The 4-7-8 Breath
The next time you’re swept away by anger, fear, anxiety, extreme sadness, or other strong emotions, try using the 4–7–8 breath to activate your built-in calming system.
- Place the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth at the gum line.
- Purse your lips as if you’re going to blow out a candle, then exhale completely through your mouth, making a whooshing or sighing sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale through your nose for four counts, hold the breath for seven counts, and exhale through the mouth for eight counts.
- Repeat for 10 rounds.
3. Take A Bath Or Shower
Come wintertime, a long, hot bath filled with bubbles and luxurious oils and scents makes for the ultimate pamper session. Water has a relaxing effect on our bodies, so whether it is swimming, or even just lying in the tub, you can rest assured that this will do the trick! Run some hot water, get in, and lie down for 20 minutes. You’ll come out happy & relaxed!
4. Change Into Comfortable Clothes
Let’s face it, happiness is a favourite set of pyjamas still warm from the dryer and after a long day at work, getting out of the suit, or uniform at night time can be the most comforting thing, of course, followed by a nice meal!
5. Do Something You Enjoy
We all deserve the right to some ‘me time’. Getting that, will not only fetch you happiness, but you will also be able to then devote attention to your loved ones better. Listen to some music, watch a movie or play the guitar. Work on something you enjoy and that isn’t too draining, and you’ll probably find your mood increases.
What are your favourite ways of unwinding after a busy day? Let us know in the comments below. 👇🏼
1,004 total views, 3 views today